Social media are internet services that let you interact with others and share and create content through online communities.Social media can reach millions of people all around the world. Many forms of social media are free for business, and paid options are usually low-cost.
Using social media to market your business: the basics
Social media present great marketing opportunities for businesses of all sizes. You can use social media to:
- promote the name of your brand and business
- tell customers about your goods and services
- find out what customers think of your business
- attract new customers
- build stronger relationships with existing customers.
Key social media services
Different types of social media are good for different marketing activities. The key social media services are:
- Facebook – a social networking site that allows you to have conversations with customers, post photos and videos, promote special offers, and more
- Twitter – a ‘micro-blogging’ service that allows you to send and receive short messages from customers and potential customers
- YouTube – an online video-hosting service that lets people share their videos
- blogs – internet sites that contain a series of entries or ‘posts’ about topics of interest to the author, much like an online ‘diary’
- coupon sites – websites that offer discount coupons for goods, services and events
- online photo-sharing services – websites that allow users to store, organise and share their photo collections
- customer review sites – websites that feature customer reviews of goods and services.