They have differences and similarities and there are situations that you should use them together or separately depending on your business and marketing goals.
AdWords VS SEO
Now that you have a general idea of what is Google adwords vs SEO let’s see how they compare:
- Adwords is for Google sites and websites that use Google Adsense while SEO principles are applicable for all search engines.
- Adwords traffic is paid while SEO traffic is free (this is the believe in the industry but I will explain in another post why it is not exactly true)
- Adwords ads appear on the top and bottom of Google Search Results and under certain conditions you can get one of those ad positions, but with SEO you have to work much harder to get one of the top positions in the organic search results.
- Adwords is more immediate than SEO since you can create advertising campaigns almost instantly and start getting targeted traffic while with SEO you need a lot more time (especially for new websites) to get good rankings and traffic.
- With Adwords is easier to calculate the ROI while with SEO is more difficult because there are a lot more factors that play a role and not just ad spending and revenue.
- When you stop your adwords campaigns traffic also stops but once you start getting organic traffic with SEO, this will continue long term.
- With Adwords you can target many keywords at the same time while with SEO you need to focus on a few keywords for best results.
- With Adwords you can advertise on other Google websites and websites that use Google Adsense but the results from SEO are only for the search results pages.
Which is the best for your Marketing?
This is still our major goal today but through the years and from our experience working with clients in different niches we realised that business owners sometimes need results faster and more immediate and this is where Adwords comes into play.
You will have to pay for each of the visits you get from adwords but if your campaigns are profitable you can justify the investment in PPC and meet your business objectives.
Adwords is ideal for startups and new companies that want to get targeted traffic quickly for the purpose of making sales, finding new customers or even for testing their products, procedures, website effectiveness and any other component in their sales or marketing processes.
The above is true, if you use AdWords wisely and carefully. It is very easy to start spending money on AdWords and if you don’t have proper monitoring and control tools you will end up making losses instead of profits.
What I always tell my clients about Adwords is that if you don’t use it correctly it will be like playing in a Casino where you spend money with the wishful thinking that sometimes you will get it back, but you never do!
So, while the system is easy to use (so that you spend more), if you don’t have the knowledge and experience to run Adword Campaigns, save your money and hire professional companies (preferably Adwords Partners) to do it for you.
This is the best approach so that you don’t lose money but benefit from the use of Adwords.
You can use adwords when you want traffic fast but you need SEO for long term and sustainable online success.