Online Marketing is the art and science of selling products and/or services over digital networks, such as the internet and cellular phone networks.
The art of online marketing involves finding the right online marketing mix of strategies that appeals to your target market and will actually translate into sales.
The science of online marketing is the research and analysis that goes into both choosing the online marketing strategies to use and measuring the success of those strategies.
Types of online marketing include:
- Search Engine Marketing – includes Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM). SEO is the process of tuning your business website so that it ranks higher in the search listings when potential customers enter search terms that match your product offerings. SEO is free. SEM is paid search marketing – for a (typically) pay-per-click fee, search engines such as Google will display your ad when a user enters a search using one of your keywords. SEM statistics can provide excellent feedback on the effectiveness of your ad, such as the click-through rate (the number of times your ad has been clicked versus the number of times the page containing the ad has been viewed).
- Online Advertising – While there are still banner ads on the internet, there are also other myriad options available, from interstitials (web pages displayed before or after an expected content page) through text ads. Different social media, such as Facebook, offer their own advertising platforms.
- Email Marketing – once you have built a subscriber email list of potential customers who may be interested in your products or services, email marketing is a very effective way to get the message out. You can keep them up to date with company news, upcoming events, and special offerings. You can send out newsletters and customized product or service offerings specific to the customers needs.
- Social Media Marketing – social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Pinterest (just to name a few) are all opportunities for marketing online. Social media is a conversation – it requires active participation rather than just posting ads for your products or services. For more on how to market successfully on social media see:
- Mobile marketing – Phones are fast becoming the one thing that everyone carries with them all the time, making text messages and other forms of mobile advertising the best way to reach your potential customers.
- Blogging – having a business blog is another way to converse with your customers and keep them informed about your products or services. A blog can be used to provide advice and get useful feedback. See 7 Ways to Get Blogging for Money. Microblogs are a subset of blogs – normally consisting of short text updates sent by email, instant messaging, or Twitter.
And that’s definitely just to name a few; more online marketing strategies are being invented all the time.
Why You Need an Online Presence
Online marketing is becoming increasingly important to small businesses of all types. In the past, internet marketing was something that local bricks-and-mortar businesses could justifiably ignore. It didn’t make sense to waste time and money on online marketing when all your business was local.
Now with increasing local search and people’s new habit of searching on the internet first, it matters. I would go so far as to say that all businesses should include some online marketing in their marketing mix.
Aside from advertising online, your online reputation is very important, even if you do not conduct business over the internet – before a new customer decides to patronize your business chances are they will check online reviews, so building a reputation for quality and customer serviceis very important.
Unhappy customers are more likely to leave online reviews than satisfied ones, so having a strong reputation and plenty of positive online reviews is vital to business success in today’s digital world.
Online Marketing: Basic Strategies Any Business Can Use provides an overview of six of the most common online marketing strategies.
Also Known As: Internet marketing, marketing online.
Examples: Margaret was surprised to find that so many of her customers found her Sewgood Sewing Services store through searching on the internet.