Types of media advertising
Media Advertising is an important domain in business and advertising. With the passage of time, there have been several ways in which ads are being showcased and can be communicated to customers. There are different types of Media Advertising present. Depending upon various parameters like budget, reach, customer preferences etc companies can choose the required Media Advertising and help boost their brand.
Some of the most important types of Media Advertising are:
1. Broadcast media- TV and radio are two of the most important advertising media known as broadcast media.
Television- Televisions have become a very important tool to advertise for companies. Companies can targets serials, reality shows, sports events, live events etc which are showcased on TV’s and understand the demographics of the people watching the TV. TV channels are anyways classified as news, sports, knowledge, entertainment, movies, kids etc. This helps advertisers to pick and choose the channel. Thus TV is one of the most widely used Media Advertising in the world. Advertising slots are sold by broadcasting companies and channels based in popularity of TV shows, TRPs etc.
Radio- As a tool for marketing and advertising, radio is the most cost effective tool which a customer can have. Since radios have are high penetration and are easy for customers to buy, they are a good tool for advertising. Radios enable companies to reach out to a wide range of customers. Since radio cater to the needs of a particular city or region, it is a good way to advertise based on customers selected from geographic segmentation. Thus, radio is one of the most effective tools as Media Advertising.
2. Print Media: Media Advertising like newspapers, magazines, leaflets, brochures, billboards, signages, direct mail and other print publications come under print media. With the massive reach of print media, it became a popular tool for advertising. Print media caters to a regional audience and is published in different languages. Hence, print media can cater to a niche audience as compared to broadcast advertising media tools like TV or radio.
3. Online Media: With the consistent growth in internet penetration, companies have started using online media for promotion through advertising. People are connected to the internet through social media, website browsing etc. This gives an opportunity to companies to use this Media Advertising and cater to customers using online advertising. Online ads, blogs, content advertising, affiliate marketing etc are all done using online as an advertising media.
4. Outdoor Media: Another popular form of advertising is using outdoor hoardings, billboards, OOH (out of home) media etc. Outdoor advertising it basically useful in capturing those customers who are travelling from one place to another. This gives an opportunity to companies to use outdoor advertising media to create brand awareness by putting large bill boards and hoardings above buildings, near streets etc to give maximum visibility.
5. Mobile: With the increasing penetration and usage of mobile phones, mobile advertising has become a critical aspect for every business. Mobile as an advertising media helps to reach out to customer by promoting messages through SMS, social media chat groups etc. Online and mobile media are also overlapping at times as websites can be accessible both through desktop, laptop and smartphones.
6. Specialty Media: These consist of items that are given away to the consumer on which the name of the company or brand is printed so that more people get to know about it. For example- carry bags, membership cards, free merchandise like caps or bags, etc. These type of advertising media are more niche and have a narrow reach as compared to the above mentioned media.