Advertising activities can be categorized into above the line, below the line, and through the line advertising according to their level of penetration.
- Above the line advertising include activities that are largely non-targeted and have a wide reach. Examples of above the line advertising are TV, radio, & newspaper advertisements.
- Below the line advertising include conversion focused activities which are directed towards a specific target group. Examples of below the line advertising are billboards, sponsorships, in-store advertising, etc.
- Through the line advertising include activities which involve the use of both ATL & BTL strategies simultaneously. These are directed towards brand building and conversions and make use of targeted (personalized) advertisement strategies. Examples of through the line advertising are cookie based advertising, digital marketing strategies, etc.
Advertising activities can also be categorized into 5 types based on the advertisement medium used. These types of advertisements are:
- Print Advertising: Newspaper, magazines, & brochure advertisements, etc.
- Broadcast Advertising: Television and radio advertisements.
- Outdoor Advertising: Hoardings, banners, flags, wraps, etc.
- Digital Advertising: Advertisements displayed over the internet and digital devices.
- Product/Brand Integration: Product placements in entertainment media like TV show, YouTube video, etc.
Objectives Of Advertising
There are 3 main objectives of advertising. These are:
Advertisements are used to increase the brand awareness and brand exposure in the target market. Informing the potential customers about the brand and its products is the first step towards attaining business goals.
Persuading customers to perform a particular task is a prominent objective of advertising. The tasks may involve buying or trying the products and services offered, to from a brand image, develop a favourable attitude towards the brand etc.
Another objective of advertising is to reinforce the brand message and to reassure the existing and potential customers about the brand vision. Advertising helps the brand to maintain top of mind awareness and to avoid competitors stealing the customers. This also helps in the word of mouth marketing.
Other objectives of advertising are subsets of these three objectives. These subsets are:
- Brand Building
- Increasing Sales
- Creating Demand
- Expanding Customer Base
- Changing Customers’ attitudes, etc.
Importance Of Advertising
To The Customers
Convenience: Targeted informative advertisements make the customer’s decision making process easier as they get to know what suits their requirements and budget.
Awareness: Advertising educates the customers about different products available in the market and their features. This knowledge helps the customers compare different products and choose the best product for them.
Better Quality: Only brands advertise themselves and their products. There are no advertisements of unbranded products. This ensures better quality to the customers as no brand wants to waste money on false advertising.
To The Business
Awareness: Advertising increases the brand and product awareness among the people belonging to the target market.
Brand Image: Clever advertising helps the business to form the desired brand image and brand personality in the minds of the customers.
Product Differentiation: Advertising helps the business to differentiate its product from those of competitors’ and communicate its features and advantages to the target audience.
Increases Goodwill: Advertising reiterates brand vision and increases the goodwill of the brand among its customers.
Value For Money: Advertising delivers the message to a wide audience and tends to be value for money when compared to other elements of promotion mix.
Advantages Of Advertising
Reduces Per Unit Cost: The wide appeal of advertisements increases the demand of the product which benefits the organization as it capitalizes on the economies of scale.
Helps In Brand Building: Advertisements work effectively in brand building. Brands who advertise are preferred over those which doesn’t.
Helps In Launching New Product: Launching a new product is easy when it is backed by an advertisement.
Boosts Up Existing Customers’ Confidence In The Brand: Advertisements boosts up existing customers’ confidence in the brand as they get a feeling of pride when they see an advertisement of the product or the brand they use.
Helps In Reducing Customer Turnover: Strategic advertisements of new offers and better service helps reduce customer turnover.
Attracts New Customers: Attractive advertisements helps the brand in gaining new customers and expanding business.
Educates The Customers: Advertisements inform the customers about different products existing in the market and also educates them in what they should look for in an apt product.